Thursday, June 26, 2014

Old World, New Me.


Most of my blogs were about my travels and the experiences that I had along those adventures. I neglected to talk about the changes that were happening within me. Well this post is going to get very real and show you all what studying abroad does to a person.

From day one, I could tell that my life would be forever changed because of this experience. The people around me, the different perspectives, the new environment, absolutely everything was different than what I have been used to. Don't they always say that change is a good thing?

I discovered so much over my time in Sweden and traveling Europe. When I returned home I wasn't ready to talk about it, actually I wasn't aware of the difference that this experience had on me. Now that I have had some time back in the USA, I am learning about the person that I have become. Here are a few changes I have noticed in myself, changes that everyone could benefit from.

Freedom - Everyone thinks that when you first go to college, that's freedom. I'm here to tell you that you are wrong. When you leave the country, that's freedom. Upon arriving, you have no friends, no familiar places, no three hour drive to get back to home. When in a different country, you are truly free. Free to make any decision (smart or stupid), free to travel wherever you want, free to spend your money however you want, free to be whatever person you want to be. It is a fresh start and you get to decide what happens with almost no outside influence. Time to redefine and review how you want to live your life. One thing to remember, is that you have to respect this newly found freedom since it is a double edged sword.

Go For It - Adventure doesn't happen to those who wait for it, it happens to those that go out and start looking. I spent some time traveling on my own even though they recommended we always go with at least one buddy. My advice, if you want to do something, just go do it. If you wait for others all the time, you will end up missing out on the opportunity. There are opportunities that I missed out on and also opportunities that I went for. It's all part of growing.

Be Not Afraid - The world is a big (scary) place but the unknown is what makes this life exciting.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
                 -Robert Frost
This is the absolute truth. Don't always follow everyone else. Sometimes the road that you think leads to nothing, yields the best results. Do not let fear run your life. Don't let it hold you back from doing all of the things you've dreamed of.

Don't Judge - People are stereotyped all over the world. Are some of those stereotypes true? Yes. Are all of them? No. I met so many people from all over the world and were some of them weird and strange? Yes. But also some of them were the most caring, nicest, happiest, friendliest, confident, funny, generous, and sincere people I have ever met. Overall they were just great people. Where you come from and what your native language is should never be a negative thing and you should never judge someone based on that. People around the world are no different than me, or you, or your family or friends. We are all human beings, lets embrace our differences and learn from them. Open your arms to other cultures and you will be surprised at what you receive in return.

Open Mind - You will run into people who don't agree with you, people who don't follow the same values as you, and people with different religions. You will also run into new customs and culture, new forms of transportation, and new ways of living life. Be open to them because you will learn a lot about others and yourself. I learned that I love traveling with trains, about different customs and cultures, and much more about myself than I will ever full understand. Go about your life with the attitude that you will try anything once and you will go far.

Here are just five of my growth areas while in Sweden. I'm sure there are many more that I will discover as time goes on. I had experiences that I never even thought would be a part of studying abroad. I had deep conversations about US politics, taught people english, learned some cooking skills, had my fortune told by Turkish coffee, discovered how to communicate non-verbally, lived in a Polish household, learned the generosity of people, explored my limits, learned how to speak like an Italian (it's all in the hands), made connections and friends all over the world, and had one hell of a time! This is just a small tidbit of my experience and I am glad that you were able to live part of it with me. My time in Europe was truly a dream and I am very blessed to have been given the opportunity of a lifetime.

-Brian













No comments:

Post a Comment