Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stockholm - The City on the Water


Last weekend I went to see my friend Viktor again. I hopped on the train to Södertälje where he grew up. Once I was picked up in their BMW, I knew I was in for one hell of a weekend. Viktor spent some time planning this weekend and I knew I was in for a few surprises. I met Viktor’s parents when Viktor graduated and his brother, Oskar, studied at Black River Falls for a year so I know him a bit too. It was great seeing them again and catching up since it has been quite a few years. Time has gone by so fast these past few years.


Viktor, Oskar, and I headed into Stockholm with the BMW to take a quick look around the city for a couple of hours. I cannot think of any other words to describe Stockholm besides beautiful. Stockholm is situated on quite a few lakes so no matter where you are in the city you are bound to find water within a short walk. Some of my favorite quotes from this evening were “You see everything that looks like gold, it’s real gold.” And “As long as that flag is flying, Sweden is still Swedish.”


It was ironic that when we got back to Södertälje, we ate cheeseburgers, the American classic. Most Swedes really love the USA with many of them wearing American flag t-shirts, including Viktor that day. It is really great to just have that friend that even though you don’t see them very often, it feels like you were never apart.


The next day was the big day with a “surprise” for me. We took the train to Stockholm and I figured out my surprise when we walked into the Segway store. Yeah we went on a tour of Stockholm on Segways! About a three hour tour to be exact. It really was a great way to see the city without destroying your body by trying to walk everywhere. We must have covered around 25 km in the short period. They are a lot of fun to drive and I got the hang of it easily. The only trouble with a Segway tour is that it is hard to take in the beauty of the city in just that short time. There is so many things to see in Stockholm that I think you could spend weeks there and not see or appreciate everything.


Later in the afternoon we went to the Vasa Museum, a ship that was built in the 1600’s and sunk within 20 minutes of it first sailing. It was salvaged from the water in the 1960’s and has been a museum for a little over 20 years. It is a massive ship and very well perserved for its age. It’s something you have to see in real life to really appreciate. The tour guide said it took only two years to build the entire ship, and it took them three years to make a scale model of the ship!



That evening I got to experience something that is a big part of Swedish culture but isn’t actually Swedish. Tacos! Most Swede’s eat tacos on Fridays or Saturdays. It’s really a crazy thing but I can understand because tacos are so delicious.



The next day, I had to say “see you later” to Viktor since we won’t see each other again before I head back to the USA. It’s always tough saying bye to a friend, but this wasn’t bye because I know I will be back in Sweden at some point, so this was a “see you later”. I wish I could see Viktor more and hang out, guess that’s the trouble with having friends half way around the world. Maybe next time I see him, I will be more fluent in Swedish. He was already impressed with how much that I have learned in the four short months I have been studying it.


After Viktor left, I headed into the open air museum called Skansen. It was a really cool step back into history since there were old Swedish workshops, farmers, and stores. While there it was easier to imagine the olden days and how things were then. I even had a traditional Swedish kanelbullar (cinnamon bun) there. There were also some Scandinavian animals there including wolves, bears, moose, reindeer, and a few others.



My trip to Stockholm and Södertälje was one of the best weekends I had while in Sweden. I wish I could share my experience in Stockholm with my friends and family back at home. I guess these pictures will have to do for now. Maybe someday I can bring them to this beautiful city and country.


No comments:

Post a Comment